WHAT IS THE SUMMER SOLSTICE
Oh, great summer time! Simply saying the phrase brings on ideas of lengthy days, quick nights, and rising temperatures to take pleasure in. For these of us with children, it additionally means early sunrises, late sunsets, and a whole lot of “however the solar is out!” arguments for waking up early or staying up late. However what’s the summer time solstice, and why does it mark the beginning of summer time? Learn on to search out out extra!
On the summer time solstice (additionally referred to as midsummer in some cultures), one of many earth’s poles reaches its most tilt (23.44 levels) towards the solar. For these of us within the Northern Hemisphere, this happens on June 21 this yr and marks the longest day and the shortest evening of the yr. Curiously, nations and territories north of the Arctic Circle (reminiscent of Alaska) witness what is named the “midnight solar” the place the solar is seen for a full 24 hours.
Whereas we think about at the present time the beginning of summer time in the US, different cultures think about it nearer to the center of summer time. The summer time solstice has been related to the whole lot from the beginning of the brand new yr in historic Greece to the female “yin” pressure in historic China. No matter which method you take a look at it, this can be a day value celebrating! Listed below are some actions, crafts, and guide suggestions to assist your loved ones rejoice the longest day (and shortest evening) of the yr.
Picture Credit score: Jessica Human
- Welcome the early dawn with yoga — Greet the dawn or sundown with a couple of rounds of solar salutations to offer thanks for the blessings the solar brings us. You possibly can comply with it up with a couple of poses depicting a few of these blessings, reminiscent of tree pose and flower pose, or some enjoyable animal poses to maintain the kiddos . Uncover extra family-friendly yoga poses on this article.
- Dawn or sundown hike — Usher the household out the door for an early-morning hike to welcome the solar on the longest day of the yr. Don’t wish to get up that early? Goal for a sundown hike as an alternative and keep to marvel on the starlit sky because it involves life on the shortest evening of the yr.
- Create a summer-themed nature desk — Creating an space the place children can place objects that remind them of summer time is an excellent option to kick off the season! The realm might be as small as a bowl with a couple of particular objects or as massive as a desk with quite a few summer time initiatives on show. A couple of examples to incorporate are seashells collected on the seashore, postcards from a trip, summer time crafts, or potted flowers. Any objects that remind your loved ones of the limitless enjoyable of summer time will work!
- Spend time with the native flora — What higher option to present your gratitude for the daylight than by spending time within the backyard or visiting a farm to offer thanks for the bounty that’s made attainable by the solar? In any case, with out the solar, vegetation couldn’t exist, which in flip signifies that animals (like us) couldn’t exist.
Picture Credit score: Ali Chandra
- Assemble a solar suncatcher — Seize the radiance of daylight with a sun-shaped suncatcher to hold in your window! This craft is bound to brighten your day even when the climate turns gloomy.
- Make a flower crown — Have fun the season with a vivid and sunny flower crown. If dandelions are plentiful in your yard this time of yr, right here is a simple tutorial for a dandelion crown utilizing no further supplies. Then you’ll be able to harvest the dandelion greens to make a yummy salad! Trying to save the flowers and go away no hint, otherwise you don’t have dandelions in your yard? Here’s a tutorial that makes use of faux flowers to create a attractive summer time crown.
- Create a sundial — Get in some stealth studying by educating the kiddos how historic people decided the time of day through the use of the shadow solid by the place of the solar. This simple craft could make an incredible addition to your backyard, patio, or out of doors play space.
- Extra solar crafts — Searching for extra crafts to assist your loved ones rejoice the solar and the beginning of summer time? Listed below are a plethora of simple choices to attempt along with your children.
Picture Credit score: Ali Chandra
SUMMER BOOKS TO READ
Because the saying goes, “An image is value a thousand phrases.” These superbly illustrated books assist youngsters of all ages perceive what occurs as spring turns to summer time.
BIRTH– 3 YEARS
I See Summer time by Charles Ghigna — Pea pods, cucumbers, and strawberries present loads of alternatives for counting within the backyard! This brilliantly illustrated, summer-themed guide offers readers a chance to look and study with hidden numbers on each web page.
Summer time Days and Nights by Wong Herbert Ye — Observe a spunky little woman as she finds methods to entertain herself and keep cool on a sizzling summer time day. From catching butterflies to looking for frogs, the creator focuses on appreciating the small however particular particulars that outline the summer time season.
Summer time Is Right here by Heidi Pross Grey — Learn alongside because the creator covers among the greatest highlights of summer time, from choosing blueberries to diving into the water on a sizzling day. Wonderful watercolor illustrations and rhythmic, whimsical textual content lead the reader on a summer time journey on this guide.
The Wonders of Summer time by Kealy Connor Lonning – Observe an adventurous little woman and her father as they expertise the wonders of summer time, from wading in a river and catching fireflies to having fun with ice cream. This heartfelt guide will encourage households to get outdoor and admire the wonders and great thing about nature in summer time.
4 YEARS AND UP
The Longest Day – Celebrating the Summer time Solstice by Wendy Pfeffer — This guide takes readers on a journey via the historical past and science behind the summer time solstice, with a deal with summer time celebrations from varied cultures world wide. The creator additionally makes use of kid-friendly language to explain the science behind summer time phenomena, reminiscent of the expansion of a butterfly and the longer day size.
Summer time Solar Risin’ by W. Nikola-Lisa – Be part of just a little boy as he spends an activity-filled summer time day serving to his household on their farm. Feeding animals, mowing hay, choosing greens, and consuming freshly caught fish fill the hours on a summer time farm within the Nineteen Fifties.
And Then Comes Summer time by Tom Brenner — Lyrical textual content is used to explain the sights, smells, sounds, and favourite out of doors actions of summer time. The guide is accompanied by cheerful illustrations depicting the fun of summer time and is sufficient to get anybody excited for the warmest season of the yr!
Below Alaska’s Midnight Solar by Deb Vanasse — See summer time via the eyes of an Alaskan woman as she enjoys the “midnight solar” of her area. With lovely illustrations, comply with alongside as she dances, watches wildlife, and stays up late with the solar that doesn’t set.
How does your loved ones rejoice the beginning of summer time? Tell us within the feedback beneath!
ABOUT HIKE IT BABY
We hope you loved studying this text from Hike it Child. We’re working onerous to supply our group with content material and sources that inform, encourage, and entertain you.